Rosewell Memorial Church Hall

In November 1929, the Congregational Board of Rosewell Church considered the need for additional accommodation to support increasing church activity. Discussions took place with the Lothian Coal Company to see if it would be possible to purchase the Ramsay Hall, which stood relatively close to the church building. Whilst this was not possible, the Company did offer to lease the hall to the church. However, the Board could not agree with the terms of the lease and began to plan the building of a new hall that would also be the village war memorial.

It was estimated that the cost of a new build would be £1250, with the funds being raised by subscription and through grants. The plans were put to the congregation and were given the go ahead – 303 in favour; 7 against; and 69 unaccounted for. A committee was set up to oversee the project, with James Smith, Postmaster as secretary and Henry Anderson, treasurer. Subscriptions started in January 1930 and in March that year, the Lothian Coal company contributed £100 and was also asked for a free grant of the land required for the new hall.

On Saturday 26 March 1932, a notice appeared in the Edinburgh Evening News calling for relatives of the men belonging to the Parish of Rosewell who fell in the great war to send, no later than 2 April 1932 to Mr James Smith, Post Office, Rosewell, the full names and Units of their fallen friends with a view to these being inserted on the Memorial Tablet, to be placed in the Rosewell Memorial Hall.

The hall was completed at a cost of £1200, achieved by raising £500 subscribed locally; £100 contribution by Lothian Coal company; and £600 grant from the Home Missions Committee. In addition, James Hood provided £45 for the memorial plaque.

The opening ceremony took place on the 14 May 1932 and was reported in the Edinburgh Evening News, which stated that the Rev. James Mathers O.B.E of Rosewell Parish Church, presided over the opening ceremony. After a short thanksgiving service, the Very Rev. Dr Andrew N Bogle DD performed the opening of the hall, in the presence of a large attendance of local people, including many ex-servicemen and officials.

The names on the Memorial Plaque can be searched on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. Simply click on Forevermore Stories to view their stories or enter the name that you want to search (opens in a new tab).

Today, the hall is also available to be rented on either a one-off or more regular arrangement, depending on the circumstance. Please click on Hall Booking for more information about the Hall facilities.